Sunday, December 18, 2011

Recording That's So Much (Written by John Watts)




Photo: John Watts & Kaïsa Doumbe


A few weeks after I met my husband to be, John Watts, he gave me a call and played a new song on his guitar over the phone and told me that he had written it for me. Being very rational and skeptical back then (don't forget: I was pharmacist!) I assumed that he had that song under his sleeve and probably sang it to every girl he met trying to impress her, so I kindly thanked him and did not say much about it... Shortly after that John presented me with a tape of his songs as a gift (that's right, remember when we used to listen to music on tapes!). So when I was alone I listened to his music and I was mesmerized with the quality of his craft. I cried when I perceived the intensity of his sensitivity and I understood that he truly wrote the song That's So Much about our moment. I became open to this song and many others he had written since.

During the process of recording this song, we discovered Kaïssa Doubé. Her voice is smooth, crystal clear and full of feeling. She gave the final touch to this tune that is steeped in African pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment